Unicon conducted the 4Q2013 uPortal Open Source Support Briefing on Feb 12. The Open Source Support program provides limited funding to fix bugs and/or advance the uPortal platform for overall uPortal Community benefit as directed by the Open Source Support program participants.
Link to recorded session: http://unicon.adobeconnect.com/p7m1vf1tps5/
Under OSS Community direction, much effort during 4Q2013 was directed toward advancing the Respondr Responsive Design theme that is one of the most exciting features in the upcoming uPortal 4.1 release. Some of the substantial work done on Respondr included:
- Upgrading to Bootstrap 3
- Completing many of the personalization feaures users were familiar with from the Universality theme (add/reorder/delete tabs, add/reorder/delete portlets)
- Upgrading the Administrative portlets to work within the Bootstrap 3 / Responsive Design framework
- Fixing some of the portlets to render well in Respondr
- Various other bug fixes and improvements
We also reported some other noteworthy work performed or nearly complete for Clients and contributed back to the uPortal Community, or other noteworthy work contributed by the community that includes:
- Composing the Respondr portal page using a set of page regions creating more flexibility and Responsive capability (courtesy of IlliniCloud)
- UP-3887 Add ajax auto-suggest feature to Quick Search and Search (courtesy of Brooklyn College)
- 2 new Peoplesoft HR Portlets for Sick/Vacation time entry and a time-clock-oriented time entry portlet (contributed by BYU)
- UP-3940 Skin Manager (courtesy of IlliniCloud)
- UP-3941 Support for Massively Multi-tenant portals (courtesy of IlliniCloud)
- UP-3896 Favorites portlet (courtesy of Univ of Wisconsin-Madison)
Drew Wills demo'ed the current state of Respondr to call participants. We also reported that the new Respondr Responsive Design theme has evolved sufficiently it is ready for serious consideration for deployment and will be part of the upcoming 4.1 release. There are several clients releasing with Respondr in the upcoming months. For a more complete detailing of Respondr work, review UP-3719 (https://issues.jasig.org/browse/UP-3719).
Also as a reminder, Open Apereo 2014 will be held June 1 - 4, 2014 in beautiful Miami FL. There are a number of proposals submitted detailing various new or upgraded uPortal capabilities. We hope to see you there. See http://www.apereo.org for more information.